DescentOS Forum

Forum for the linux distro DescentOS

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Official Bug Report Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
brian2040
Admin

PostSubject: Official Bug Report Thread   Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:49 pm

If anyone finds any bugs, this is where you all file your reports. Give us a detailed description and if you find a fix, tell us as well so we can look over it and release a patch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://descentos.org
daking

PostSubject: icons in Nautilus   Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:22 pm

I am not sure if this is a bug or not. BTW, great job with putting together the OS.

In Nautilus there is a set of icons in use by default. When I was customising the OS and the appearance, I tried out different themes, etc., and wanted to try different icons so that the folder icons, etc., would appear differently in Nautilus. However, no matter what I selected, the icons did not change from their default appearance, although other things changed, e.g. title bar.

I even installed various other icon themes via Synaptic, and selecting those did nothing to change anything either.

So is this a bug, or am I just missing some obvious setting that I need to change?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brian2040
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Official Bug Report Thread   Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:09 pm

Well, in terms of the regular icons not changing, they're all the same anyways. What other icon themes did you install?
Back to top Go down
gjringo

PostSubject: Re: Official Bug Report Thread   Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:45 am

I use the following method to add new themes;
Download the tar archive(tar.gz or.zip) of your chosen icon theme(s) from theme website eg. http://gnome-look.org
Open your home folder; select show hidden files; create a new folder named .icons if it is not already present.
Locate your downloaded tar archive and extract it (this should reveal the named icon theme folder) and paste that folder into the .icons folder.
Follow the same process for cursors also pasting them in your .icons folder.
Then go to menu>System>Preferences>Appearance select Theme tab>Customize button; select Icon tab and choose your desired icon theme. (and select Pointer tab for your cursor).

Follow the same process for adding themes to change theme control and window border but place the extracted folder(s)into another newly created hidden folder called .themes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LinuXFroG

PostSubject: Re: Official Bug Report Thread   Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:19 pm

I have my new system now. It's an AMD Phenom II 970 BE on an Asus M5A97 mobo with 16gigs 1800ram. nVidia GTX 550ti. I load the LiveCD and everything is fine for 5mins. Then desktop drops to terminal with a BUG: kernel paging cannot be processed: a6e9cf67. Something like that. I wrote the numbers down, so those are right. The wording may not be.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brian2040
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Official Bug Report Thread   Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:44 pm

I'll look into that. From what it sounds like though, with a machine as robust as that, it might be an error with the 32-bit OS trying to talk with it. If it's a kernel error though, there isn't much I can do because that's an upstream issue.

Back to top Go down
LinuXFroG

PostSubject: Re: Official Bug Report Thread   Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:40 pm

brian2040 wrote:
I'll look into that. From what it sounds like though, with a machine as robust as that, it might be an error with the 32-bit OS trying to talk with it. If it's a kernel error though, there isn't much I can do because that's an upstream issue.

I agree about the x86 issue. It has been known to occur. Are you still planning on an x64 version?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brian2040
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Official Bug Report Thread   Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:49 pm

Yes, I am. I just didn't have 64-bit hardware at the time I made version 2.1, but now for 3, I do.
Back to top Go down
LinuXFroG

PostSubject: Re: Official Bug Report Thread   Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:02 pm

Well, I will watch for it. With my last system only running 8gigs 2gigs per stick, x86 OSes had no issues. So I'm thinking it has to be the issue. I am currently dling x64 of Ubuntu and will see what happens.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LinuXFroG

PostSubject: Re: Official Bug Report Thread   Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:38 am

10.04.4 x64 has 0 issues. 12.04 Beta x64 will not load. After the initial load screen with the tiny pic of the keyboard, all I get is a flashing cursor and that's the end. Fedora 17 beta and Fedora 16 also has issues. Fedora 14-15 all good. LMDE 201204 RC x64 gives a modprobe error about unix not being in the mods.dep. I will be trying Mint 12 Lisa x64 in about 20 mins. Will report back.

Edit:
Mint 12 x64 seems fine, other then the fact is slower then molasses.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brian2040
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Official Bug Report Thread   Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:14 pm

It sounds like since your hardware's so new, and so robust, it might take a little while for the drivers and stuff to catch up to it.
Back to top Go down
LinuXFroG

PostSubject: Re: Official Bug Report Thread   Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:29 am

Nah, I don't think so. I think it's hardware related. When I first got this system, distros loaded fine. But awhile back we had back to back power outages here. Unexpected ones. Not storm related or anything. So I think something is wrong and I may have to put it in the shop.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brian2040
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Official Bug Report Thread   Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:07 am

Yeah, that's probably the case. It's odd that it would be so linux-unfriendly anyways, so I'd get that checked out.
Back to top Go down
LinuXFroG

PostSubject: Re: Official Bug Report Thread   Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:50 pm

It was friendly prior to the outages. A few of course I had issues with, mainly x86 non-buntu based distros. But not an issue.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brian2040
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Official Bug Report Thread   Tue May 01, 2012 10:15 am

That's a bit comforting, lol. I'm hoping my 12.04-based version will be a bit more friendly, but from what I heard from lots of people is that 12.04 doesn't really want to play ball with their hardware either.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Official Bug Report Thread   

Back to top Go down

Official Bug Report Thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1